OUR SERVICE STANDARDS
Acquisition of Building/Development Permit
Who can apply?
Any person or organization who has legal title to immobile property or plot of land and intends to develop, redevelop/renovate or change it’s us.
How to Apply
Purchase the Building Permit Application Form (BPA) and TCP Form 1 from the Revenue office (Room 36) and Development Control Unit (Room 47) at the main office respectively.
Requirements The prospective developer must have the following:
1. Clearance letter after official search on status of land from Lands Commission/Land Title Registry upon issuance of a search letter by the Development Control Unit.
2. Three (3) sets of working drawings with the following requirements; Site Plan (scale 1:1:250 or 1:2, 500). Building, Fence, and Block Plans (scale not less than), 1:20 or 1:40 or metric equivalent 1:1000 & 1:2000).
3. Building Permit Application Form and Physical Planning Department Form Ensure that the under-listed professionals sign the various plans to be attached to the Building Permit Application.
1. Professional Town Planner to sign the Block Plan
2. Architect or Licensed draughtsman for Architectural plans
3. Civil or Structural Engineer for structural drawings for Three (3) stories and above.
You may have to provide the following reports if your development is a multi-story structure or complex: Environmental Impact Assessment Report, Structural Report, Fire Service report, Hydro Report, geological Report, or Traffic Management Report.
1. Submit completed forms with all other requirements as specified in the Building Permit Application and TCP 1 Forms to the officer in charge at the Development control office Room.
2. On submission, the applicant is informed of corrections to be made or additions if any; the processing fee, and date for inspection of the site (if necessary).
1. a) Team of officers from Physical Planning and Works Departments inspects the site with the Developer within two (2) weeks of receipt of application to confirm the site as shown on the Site Plan and its suitability for the proposed development.
2. b) The Statutory Planning Committee Secretary (Municipal Physical Planning Officer) process the application within two (2) weeks after inspection of the site.
3. c) Technical Committee meets to evaluate the application, visits site and makes a recommendation to the Statutory Planning Committee (SPC) within four (4) weeks after inspection of the site.
4. d) Statutory Planning Committee considers the Development Applications within fourteen (14) working days after the Technical Committee meeting.
5. e) The Statutory Planning Committee Secretary submits approved plans to the Municipal Works Department for issuing of development permit within five (5) working days. Collection of Permit Pay the approved building permit fee at the revenue office of the assembly and collect your development permit from the Works Engineer’s office three (3) months after submission of the application.
The receipt issued as payment for the processing fee is NOT a Building Permit
•A permit can be obtained within the stipulated three (3) months subject to a proper title to land and standard drawings
• Building Permit is valid for five (5) years. Applicants who do not start or complete their project within five (5) years must apply for renewal of the Permit.
• Development must conform to the approved Planning Scheme.
• Fees charge are subject to change and regulated by Fee Fixing Resolution adopted by the General Assembly annually. Do not make any false declaration on your application else your application shall be rejected.