Registration of Marriages

 Who can apply­?

A man and a woman who has consented to marry.

How to apply

  1. Ordinance Marriage; Either or both couple to the intended marriage files a notice at the Registry.
  2. Customary Marriage; Either or both couple submits a formal application to the Registrar of Marriages for the purpose of registering the marriage.

Process Procedure

  1. Ordinance Marriage
  2. i) Applicants files Notice of Marriage with the Registry (for 21 days) by providing personal data plus photo identity cards.
  3. ii) Applicants submit a statutory Declaration, verifying fulfillment with specified statutory require3ments in the Marriages Act, 1884-1985 (CAP 127).

iii) The Registrar’s Certificate is issued to the applicant after twenty-one (21) days (in the absence of a caveat/objection).

  1. iv) Thereafter, the Marriage may be celebrated within 3 months from the date of the Notice of Marriage.
  2. Customary Marriage
  • Apply to the Registrar of Marriages in the District in which the marriage was celebrated.
  • Statutory Declaration by Applicant and parents of the couple.
  • Marriage is duly Registered.
  • Notice of Registration of the Marriage is published on the Notice Board within Twenty-Eight (28) days from the date of registration.

Customary Divorce

  • Apply to the Registrar of Marriages in the District in which the marriage was dissolved.
  • Statutory Declaration by Applicant.
  • Dissolution of Marriage is then duly Registered.

Licensing of Church Premises for the celebration of Marriages

  1. a)    Apply to the Municipal Chief Executive, with a copy to the Registrar of Marriages.
  2. b)   Attach copies of Ordination Certificate, Church Registration Certificate, Building Permit.
  3. c)    A technical team of officers from the Assembly inspects the Church Premises (with particular reference to sanitary  facilities, parking  lot, firefighting equipment, etc.).         
  4. d) Church Premises is then duly licensed/denied within one month of submission of application.